Thanks to Luis Guzman's wonderful work with Open General, it became possible to allow Open General to also play converted and adapted PeG campaigns with a reasonable degree of fidelity in recreating the PeG gameplay experience, including trigger hexes, air missions, counter battery fire, Light Infantry, Attack Helicopters, and more. While not being an exact clone of PeG, OpenPeG comes very close, as well as adding other features, like ability to play in a windowed mode, choosing different screen resolutions, ground condition changing with weather, and much more. I must stop trying to describe all the new features now, or else this post will be 3 pages long! , so what I'll do is this; I'll describe steps necessary to follow in order for people here who might interested to try playing OpenPeG: Please follow these instructions exactly:
1. Download and install this: http://sourceforge.net/projects/opengeneral/files/InstallOpenGeneral.exe/download
2. Download and install this into root folder created by step 1, overwriting old files http://sourceforge.net/projects/opengeneral/files/DailyBuild/OpenIcons.zip/download
3. Download and install this into root folder created by step 1, overwriting the old exe http://luis-guzman.com/OpenGen/OpenGenAdv.rar
4. Download and install this into the root folder created by step 1, https://sites.google.com/site/themgbunker/Home/opengen-1/EFILE_OPENPEG.zip
5. (Optional) You may also download and use converted PeG music to use with OpenPeG from here https://sites.google.com/site/themgbunker/ , look in the downloads section, instructions are there.
6. Start the game, press "Select Efile folder" button, choose "C:\Panzer2\EFILE_OPENPEG", and then select the Western campaign preview to play.
Also there is a game manual available here http://luis-guzman.com/OpenPG2/Manual_OG-en.pdf , this is a general manual in scope, but a few things also apply to OpenPeG, so it might be a good idea to give it a look to get a good overview of Open General.
This mod is a result of a collaborative effort to allow OpenGen to play converted and adapted PeG campaigns with a reasonable degree of fidelity to the originals. The efile, (OpenPeGv0.9A), is based on work done years ago when I was developing a Composite efile for PeG at Redball's Express forum, and therefore also incorporates ideas from the original efile, 5 star efile, Redball's efile, and also some ideas used in JTCS modern. Well not being an exact clone of PeG, OpenPeG does come fairly close, but there are a few differences; Air missions work slightly different from PeG, as do trigger hexes, interception, prestige system and caps, and a few other things. Also the purchase of unit attachments are not enabled yet. Anyhow, without Luis help and encouragement, I would have given up long ago on this mod, so don't be thanking me, thank Luis! P.S.- Here is a tip: If you see you only have one airfield available in a scenario, and you don't have a Sapper to build another one, after deploying ground units, deploy aircraft one at a time, and then do "Change base" mission for each of them after deploying, doing this will avoid "stacking" of Jets when they return from air missions..